[TR] J-Type Overdrive removal?

To: "Triumphs Digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] J-Type Overdrive removal?
From: "Lanoway, Brian" <Brian_Lanoway@standardaero.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 09:44:08 -0500
Ah, the life of a TR owner.  You fix some problems and before you can enjoy
it, another one pops up.

I had my J-Type overdrive rebuilt by an experienced local transmission shop
over the winter.  After struggling to again install it and the gearbox, I find
that the overdrive refuses to disengage - I now have overdrive in all four
gears (and know that I shouldn't use reverse)!  So far, I've checked the
solenoid circuit and everything there looks OK.

I'm going to take it back to the transmission shop and get them to check the
pressure relief valve.  I fear though that problem is internal and the O/D
will have to come out.  Is it possible to separate and remove only the
overdrive while leaving the transmission in place?   Has anyone on the List
done this, are there any special techniques involved?

I'd also appreciate any other advice when dealing with a J-Type overdrive that
refuses to disengage.

Cheers,
Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6