[TR] TR3 disturbing knock

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3 disturbing knock
From: cfisher@borgwarner.com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:43:39 -0500
Dear list,
My TR3A is finally on the road after a four year restoration, (and back on
the road again after being hit by a deer in first 45 minutes of test
driving).

There is a knock when driven under load I'm worried about.

It goes away when I ease off the gas, only there when there is a load, but
it takes very little load for it to appear. Never hear it when in neutral.

I thought it was pre-igniton knock, but now with premium (92 Oct. with a
bottle of 104 Oct. booster) I still get it. I retarded my timing to about 2
deg. BTDC and richened the carb mixture till the plugs fouled, but no effect
on the knock. It sounds like it's coming from the top end. I re-checked my
valve gaps at .010". My engine should be about 9.5:1 CR (87 mm kit, TR4
head- surfaced just a few thousandths to smooth it out.

Think it's mechanical or pre-ignition? Any idea what to check next?

I'm going to try and get a mechanic freind to drive it tonight and see what
he thinks it is.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Curt Fisher
Visit: CurtFisherRacing.com

"Racing is life, anything that comes before, or after is just waiting",
Steve McQueen from Le Mans.

===     http://www.vtr.org