[TR] disturbing knock- resolved

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] disturbing knock- resolved
From: cfisher@borgwarner.com
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 07:32:53 -0500
Thanks to all who offered input on my 59 TR3a possible pre-ignition knock.
Several of you pointed me to other bolts or keys etc. fouling the water pump
pulley or something in that area. After a good hard look, I found the fan
bolts did not have the tabs bent over, and one was actually completely out,
hanging by the tab washer!!! TRadgedy averted, near disasTR!!!

I found this after having a mechanic freind who is a vintage racer drive it
and he thought it was rocker assy. noise. He abused the h*ll out of my fresh
rebuilt, not nearly broken in engine trying to diagnose the noise. Now I
wish I'd not let him in it.

I'd had the fan, on and off several times during assembly trying the yellow
fan frontwards & back etc. Evidently on the last iteration, putting the
stock fan back on, I failed to bend the tabs on the washer. They are in a
hard place to see and I'm glad I caught it before any real damage took
place. Now I'd like to re-due the fan with fresh washers or locktite and
make sure they are evenly torqued, but it's going to be hard to do much with
all assembled, oh well.

Thanks again for the help. Drove to work in the TR for the first time this
morning, what a blast!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Curt
59TR3a
2003 MINI Cooper
Spec Racer Ford
91 Econoline 350 ex-ambulance tow vehicle
Visit: CurtFisherRacing.com

"Racing is life, anything that comes before, or after is just waiting",
Steve McQueen from Le Mans.

===     http://www.vtr.org