[TR] valve lash

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] valve lash
From: David Brady <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 22:08:43 -0400
Folks,

I'm running a fairly aggressive street cam in my TR250.
My motor dynos at 150bhp. The valve lash recommended
by Elgin cam is .020 to .022 intake, and .022 to .024 exhaust.
Why does an aggressive cam require more lash clearance?
With a cast iron head and cast iron block I assume that the
valve lash will increase at normal operating temps. Is this
true? What leeway do I have in terms of modifying the
suggested lash; i.e., how many thousands is safe to subtract
away from the recommended setting to achieve a higher
lift?

Thanks,
David Brady
'68 TR250