RE: [TR] TR4 Fuel Pump

To: "'Lee&John Howard'" <leejohn7@gmail.com>, "'triumph list list'"
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4 Fuel Pump
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 12:28:21 -0700
> The diaphragm looks OK, and was new 3-5 years ago. Is it
> possible that the pump failed some time ago and the fuel was
> being delivered by existing siphon, but not well enough to
> support hard acceleration?

Unlikely, IMO, since the carb bowls are fairly high.

> Is it
> likely that a rebuild kit, ie new diaphragm, will fix it, or
> might the lever connections be bad?

Since you are already having trouble with crud in the fuel, my first suspect
would be the check valves in the top cover.

My experience with failed diaphragms is that they still pump fuel; they just
leak a lot of it into the lower chamber, where it either runs out the 'weep'
hole or into the crankcase.

When you were reassembling, did you check that pushing on the lever would
pull the diaphragm down against the spring ?

BTW, cleaning the sediment bowl is part of normal maintenance. You're not
supposed to wait until it's full <g>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org