[TR] TR4 Fuel Pump

To: "triumph list list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4 Fuel Pump
From: "Lee&John Howard" <leejohn7@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 11:54:50 -0700
Listers

Stumped again. In an effort to clear all fuel passages, after having
discovered a totally clogged filter, the replacement of which nearly solved
my running problems, I turned to the fuel pump. The bowl and screen needed
cleaning, which I did. I then went too far, apparently, and removed the top
half of the pump to be sure there was no internal obstruction. There was
none. Naturally, I neglected to check for suction, scribe exactly where the
two parts meet or note the position of the diaphragm tab. Still, following
the Haynes book, I have reassembled 6-8 times, finding a good seat each time
for the diaphragm post. I can get no suction whatsoever at the intake joint.
The fuel bowl does not fill.

The diaphragm looks OK, and was new 3-5 years ago. Is it possible that the
pump failed some time ago and the fuel was being delivered by existing
siphon, but not well enough to support hard acceleration? I would have
thought that siphon would have been broken when I replaced the filter.  Is
it  likely that a rebuild kit, ie new diaphragm, will fix it, or might the
lever connections be bad?

Many thanks in advance.

John Howard
64 TR4