RE: [TR] Slightly OT -- Electronic Fuel Pump Help

To: "'Steinman, Bill'" <wsteinman@pogolaw.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Slightly OT -- Electronic Fuel Pump Help
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 10:09:04 -0700
> This little electronic cube on my Sunbeam starts
> clicking wildly and with much vigor the moment I turn on the car, and
> continues clicking at the same furious rate as I drive.

Sounds like you have the little Facet pump on there.  A popular replacement,
far more reliable (IMO) than the old SU pumps.  No diaphragm and no contact
points (which are two main weaknesses of a SU)

> Is that how these little suckers work?

Yes, that's right.  The noise is a bit annoying, but I've found that rubber
mounts go a long way towards reducing it.  And since the Facet simply never
quits (unlike the SU), you don't need to hear it <G>

> Any reason I can't just take that modern monstrosity off and
> replace it
> with a new SU unit I have lying around?

What carb(s) does your Tiger have on it ?  If it has an American carb (to go
with the Ford engine), it wants more fuel pressure than the SU will deliver.
But if you're running Webers or SUs, the SU pump should be fine.  (Facets
come in different pressure ratings to match different carb requirements.)

BTW, an SU electric fuel pump was standard equipment on a Triumph Stag; and
one of my Stags has a Facet on it as a replacement.

Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

===     http://www.vtr.org