[TR] Slightly OT -- Electronic Fuel Pump Help

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Slightly OT -- Electronic Fuel Pump Help
From: "Steinman, Bill" <wsteinman@pogolaw.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 12:27:18 -0400
Howdy all.
I know this is a bit off-topic, but I have always been impressed with
the collective wisdom on our list, so I'm appealing for help!  I'm the
first to admit that my knowledge of a variety of basic automotive
matters is lacking -- if it wasn't standard equipment on a Healey or
Triumph, I'm a bit lost. Soooo, in playing around with my Sunbeam Tiger,
I've discovered that the venerable old SU fuel pump was replaced with a
fairly modern looking electronic fuel pump, that looks like a little
cube of metal. I know nothing about these sorts of things, and I'm not
even sure if its working properly.

Here's my question. On my Healey's SU unit, I turn on the key, the thing
starts clicking, and then the clicking stops once the float bowls on my
HD8s are filled up. Then I fire up the car, and as I drive, I hear an
occasional "tick" from the fuel pump as it sends fuel forward on an
as-needed basis. This little electronic cube on my Sunbeam starts
clicking wildly and with much vigor the moment I turn on the car, and
continues clicking at the same furious rate as I drive.

Is that how these little suckers work?

Could it be that the real culprit is the float in my carb?

Any reason I can't just take that modern monstrosity off and replace it
with a new SU unit I have lying around?

Advice is most welcome.

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have
received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit,
disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please indicate to the
sender that you have received this communication in error, and delete the copy
you received.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 Disclosure:  Under U.S. Treasury regulations, we are required
to inform you that any tax advice contained in this e-mail or any attachment
hereto is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, to avoid penalties
imposed under the Internal Revenue Code.

Thank you.

===     http://www.vtr.org