[TR] RE: [Bmcu] TR3 Oil

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'BMCU'" <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] RE: [Bmcu] TR3 Oil
From: "William Beecher" <wbeech@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 13:10:48 -0600
OK, here's the tally in case you didn't save all those oily emails:

7 for Castrol 20/50
2 for Valvoline 20/50
1 for Red Line 20/50
1 for 20/50 (no brand specified)
And a very interesting treatise on ZDDP, thank you Jonathan.

Thanks to all who provided much appreciated info.

An interesting note:
The TR2-3 manual calls for 10 pints or 5.7 liters on a refill.  I have been
around the metric block a few times and did the math, 10 pints is 5 quarts
while 5.7 liters in 6 quarts.  I bought 5 quarts of Castrol 20/50 (as
recommended) and a new FRAM CH820PL (pay me now or pay me later) oil filter
and after starting and running the motor for a couple of minutes to fill the
filter case, the level does not even touch the dipstick.  Looks like I am
going to need at least another 1.5 quarts or 1.4191 liters.

Also, it appears that I have some type of finned alloy oil pan that drains
from the rear-center.  It also has a plug in the side about mid-way up
(possible oil-cooler inlet?).  I would guess this is some sort of
after-market rig but have no idea where it came from.

All the Best,

BillB
TR3 (TS-30766L)
"A bad day in your TR is better than a good day playing golf!"