RE: [TR] Alternator Conversion, TR3A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Alternator Conversion, TR3A
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 10:24:28 -0700
> One residual question.  Where does the plain brown wire that
> was hooked up to the control box go?  Leave it there because
> it goes to the ammeter, and the ammeter will only read
> discharge from now on?

The plain brown wire should not have been connected to the control box; but
rather to the solenoid post along with the big cable from the battery.  It
needs to be reconnected there, since it provides power to the rest of the
car (through the ammeter).

BTW, it is possible to wire so the original ammeter works.  Dan & I disagre
on this point, but I wired my "daily driver" TR3A that way some 20 years
ago, and it worked just fine for me.  The _only_ problem was that I
originally ran the alternator current through the original control box, and
the link inside the control box eventually failed.  The original wires are
plenty heavy and had no trouble with my 60 amp alternator.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org