[TR] Alternator Conversion, TR3A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Alternator Conversion, TR3A
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 23:48:43 +0000
Spent about 4 hours today doing the alternator conversion on the 3
today.  Most of the time was spent trying to prepare the tabs on the
alternator and get the spacers right so the belt lines up cleanly.  I
did try to keep the bracket from the generator to add rigidity to the
lower mount, but once off the holes on the bracket wouldn't line up
with the block again, so gave up and just using the ear on the front
plate.

Fairly straightforward.  Did a lot of research beforehand, had a lot
of help from listers with pictures.  Thank you Randall, Chris Simonson
for your website, and Jim Hassal for sending me pictures.

At the control box, I wired the brown/white and brown/blue together,
soldered and taped.  Did same for small yellow and yellow/green, and
also for the two black wires.

Ran an 8 gauge wire from the battery post of the alternator to the
battery post of teh solenoid.  All is well.

One residual question.  Where does the plain brown wire that was
hooked up to the control box go?  Leave it there because it goes to
the ammeter, and the ammeter will only read discharge from now on?

Thanks, everyone.

Terry Smith '59 TR3A  TS 58667 (stereo upgrade next, now there's power for it!)
New Hampshire