[TR] Nitrile Gloves

To: "Triumph Digest List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Nitrile Gloves
From: "Dave Rogers" <roggez@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:39:27 +1000
    Over the last few days there have been a few posts about mechanics
gloves, together with the positive and negative sides of their use. Doing
all the necessary jobs on our cars does cause a few bangs and scrapes now
and then, to add to the grime etc.
    For years I used the latex gloves which the medical profession use and
they did the job but I would go through a box in about a week. They were
very thin and tore at the slightest bump. A friend put me on to Nitrile
Gloves which are far better.
    Where the latex ones shrivel and die when they come in contact with
solvents, paints, oils etc, the nitrile ones are a lot more robust and do
not. They still give you the tactile touch needed for most jobs and are
superb for all the really dirty jobs where old grease and oil scum abound.
They will tear with hard use or sharp, abrasive contact but at less than $10
a box of 100, even using 10 pairs a day is dirt cheap. I wouldn't be without
them these days.
    Always worth having a box handy for the little jobs you have to do like
changing a tyre, checking the oil or even around home for other jobs. I
always have a few pair in the boot (trunk) for unexpected problems on the
road, when you get caught in better clothes! A Google search will find where
to get them.
    When I started using them, out back of a workshop, the young mechanics
used to say "who's the queer old guy using gloves?" I notice many of them
now use them for the greasy jobs!

Dave Rogers
Canberra, Australia

62 TR4