RE: [TR] Coil wiring

To: <ray@raysmg.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Coil wiring
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 11:41:08 -0700
> The wiring to the fuel injection was 'creative' and certain
> magic occurred in a black box. I have removed all unnecessary
> wiring and with it, one necessary wire wich leads to the '-'
> lug on the coil. The other wire attached to the same '-' post
> connects to the low tension lead on the distributor.
>
> My question is this: to what should the missing wire be
> attached? Is it simply a ground at the '-' would indicate?

Ray, I don't understand the question.  Since the car was undoubtedly
converted to negative ground, the "-" terminal of the (aftermarket) coil
should go to the points, and only to the points if the remainder of the car
is stock.  I'm guessing the ECU (black box) from the injection was using the
points signal to determine engine rpm (and possibly even injector timing,
though that's probably not a good idea since the timing from the points is
not constant).  Or, some fuel injection units (notably early Bosch systems)
used the points signal to enable the fuel pump.  If the engine stopped
turning, the pump quit getting power (so it wouldn't feed a fire after a
wreck).

Certainly the '-' post of the coil should not be grounded, except through
the points when they are closed.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org