Re: [TR] GT6: Pilot Bearing / Thrust Collar

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] GT6: Pilot Bearing / Thrust Collar
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 17:17:31 -0400 (EDT)
Martin Secrest asked, re a GT6 clutch:
> What keeps it from spinning, and if the fork is in the
> indentations, is that all there is to install it?

First, I wonder if they changed the clutch arrangement on the GT6 between '70
and '73.  My '80 clutch fork is quite different from my '70 GT6 clutch.  On the
Spitfire the slave cylinder is on the left side and the pivot is all the way
over on the right side of the bell housing, if I remember right.  On the GT6
the arm is much shorter and pivots on a stud inside the bell housing, and the
SC is on the upper right.  Having said all that...

I don't recall how the Spitfire TO bearing is held because it's been so long
since I looked at it.  But I do recall how my '70 GT6 TO bearing is held.  It
is press-fit onto a brass sleeve which fits around the tranny input shaft.  The
inner edges of fork each have a little button-like knob, and those knobs fit in
between two flanges on the brass sleeve.  Those knobs actually do the pressing
which makes the sleeve move forward when you step on the pedal.  One of those
flanges has a dimple pressed into it, creating a bump on the flange's inside
lip.  That prevents one of the fork's knobs from sliding past that squeeze
point, or more properly, prevents the brass sleeve and its flanges from
rotating.

One supposed way to screw up re-assembly is to position the fork such that the
knobs push against the rear-most of the two flanges instead sitting between the
two to push on the forward flange.  This means the anti-spin bump never
contacts the knobs.  This seems an unlikely error to make, but I suppose it's
possible.

If you're still curious, drop me a note.  Some years ago I drew up a .gif
picture illustrating all this, and I'll email it to you.

Of course, you could have the later Spitfire-style clutch and none of this
applies.
--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com