Re: [TR] loss of power

To: "'Listers'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] loss of power
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:23:38 -0700
> Symptom:  I am going down the
> road and roll into full throttle.  the car has a loss of
> power.  Not a miss fire; not a bucking from a cylinder not
> firing. More like your car would do on a cold morning when
> the choke slips off and it sound like the cylinders are dead.

Unfortunately could be a lot of things.  Full throttle puts maximum stress
on both fuel and ignition systems, so it's not unusual for marginal problems
to only show up there.

Personally, I would start by temporarily installing a fuel pressure gauge,
teed in right at the front carb (or better yet between carbs if you can) and
brought out from under the hood, to prop under a wiper where you can see it
while driving.  Most automotive vacuum test gauges will also read fuel
pressure, eg
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93547

If the pressure drops below 1 psi when the problem is happening; you've got
a fuel delivery problem.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net