Re: [TR] loss of power

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] loss of power
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 08:39:14 EDT
In a message dated 9/1/2008 4:48:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
peterara@msn.com writes:
> My 1971 TR6 has a problem.  Symptom:  I am going down the road and roll
> into
> full throttle.  the car has a loss of power.  Not a miss fire; not a bucking
> from a cylinder not firing. More like your car would do on a cold morning
> when
> the choke slips off and it sound like the cylinders are dead.  But it
> happens
> when up to temperature no choke. Can happen in any gear at any speed.
> Pulling
> the choke makes no difference.

I've heard of this resulting from a marginal rotor in the distributor.  It's
easy enough to test, swap in another rotor and go for a drive.

As Randall says, full throttle puts maximum stress on the ignition system.
Higher pressures in the cylinders require higher voltages at the spark plug.
Your rotor may be withstanding normal spark gap voltage but as the voltage goes
up the rotor breaks down.

Cheers

Dave

http://www.vtr.org