Re: [TR] TR3 Electric Fan Placement

To: Triumph car discussion Sports <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Electric Fan Placement
From: "John A. Wise" <60TR3A@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:47:23 -0700
When I first got my TR3A it had a hard time dealing with the Phoenix
heat.  Based on the advice from the list I had the radiator recored
(without the crank hole).  Based on the advice from the radiator shop
I also had a piece of "angle iron" braised to each side to attache a
large electric fan on the front side and a modern refill neck that
better allows the use of an overflow bottle.

Here is a URL with some pictures of what I had done.
http://members.cox.net/60tr3a/radiator.html

When I asked a friend who is a physicist, if there were any
differences between a push or a pull fan, he said there was a
theoretical but not a practical advantage for a puller.  He said the
speed of the airflow being pulled through the radiator was slightly
slower & thus slightly more efficient the faster air immediately
behind a pusher. He said a spacer between the fan & a front mounted
radiator would accomplish the same thing.

John

John A. Wise
Glendale, AZ

1960 Triumph TR3A