[TR] TR3 brake help

To: trmarty@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3 brake help
From: Jim Wallace <grandfatherjim@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:16:22 -0500
Marty,
One option I have used with success is to drill a hole in the stuck piston,
tap threads in it, and then turn a bolt into the threads. The bolt will
bottom out and draw the piston out as you turn it.
Jim
==============================
From: marty sukey <trmarty@hotmail.com>

A friend of mine is restoring a TR3 that has set for years. He has picked
quite an ambitious project. He brought over the front brake calipers this
evening looking for advice. One is for sure toast. The other he cannot get
one
of the pistons out of. He has had it soaking in a pan of blaster for a week
and it wont budge. Pretty much destroyed the piston trying to get it to
move.
First question, on the back of the caliper there is what appears to be a
plug
with a large screwdriver slot in it. It looks like if this plug was removed
the piston could be pushed out. However, he says the manual states DO NOT
REMOVE THIS PLUG. Can this instruction be ignored? He is trying to work on
this car a little at a time and does not have a big budget. Is there any
possibility of converting over to a TR6 disc brake set up or something else
that is more available? I'm not familiar with the TR3's. Any advice?

Thanks,
Marty

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net