Re: [TR] Car club meetings

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Car club meetings
From: Frank Fisher <yellowtr3@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:37:26 -0800 (PST)
seems only part of my story made the mail list.
re sending below.
Randal you
exemplify what a good club member is and id like to pronounce you as a friend.
and we have sat together, have enjoyed your company and continue to.

from my
last mail:
Ibm lucky to have access to quite a few British car clubs all
within easy reach of my home. Southern California .
The first one I joined was
the most difficult to fit into. For me anyway.
The club met at a restaurants
back room. The regulars for the club had their own table and friends they
shared space with each meeting. groups of 4 and 6 to a table. So as a new guy
I found myself sitting alone most often.

I found it very difficult to make
conversation and form friendships. Mainly because I was sitting at a different
table from every one else. There was no person charged with identifying the
new guys and making any kind of introduction.
after I had been a member and
attended for about 6/8 months the club organized a get together at the local
hot rod cruise and then to go on to a members house for more fun. The
invitation was sent to the members via email. I turned up for the event, had
some conversations with members trying to hang out and fit in. while chatting
to the guy who's house we where to go to after the event, he suggested to me
that I may like to join the club at his house and maybe I would like to join
the club!!!!!! I had seen this guy at the last 6/8 meetings I had attended.
>From the limited interaction I had these where really nice people, but just
not so organized in how to get new members. After that I never went back.
then decided that I would try the 2 triumph clubs in Los Angeles . SCTOA and
TRSC.
Strangely they both meet at the same British pub/restaurant. And some
months they where back to back nights.
The "problem" these clubs have is that
each meeting you go to the pub will give us one of 2 rooms and the tables are
always differently arranged from last time.
So it limits the members from
getting into funky clicks and with goodB leaders they recognize new folks,
introduce them and make them feel welcome.
The second month I attended I found
myself sitting with all new members due to the re-arranged tables and room.
And the craic was once again good.
I think this is what has made the 2 Los
Angeles clubs so very successful. The people are great like so many clubs, and
they organize a bunch of activities that get the members out and driving there
cars.
So what makes a good club? Mix up the seating each meeting and get
the members in their cars together.
Of course these yanks are pretty good
company too:-)
Frank
oh yes, and i think its time for me to renew the
membership...oops