Re: [TR] interior insulation - TR3

To: "'Cosmo Kramer'" <tr4a2712@yahoo.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] interior insulation - TR3
From: "Carl TR" <cfmtr3a@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:25:20 -0400
Welcome back!

First - the insulation is for inside the cockpit; not in the engine
compartment.   I live in Florida and if I can't get the ambient temp of the
cockpit within reason - my wife will never ride in the TR....  and it will
be less enjoyable for me.

Radiator shrouds (you don't mention which car) are designed to force air
through the radiator - cooling the water - cooling the internal engine.  The
fan is designed to aid in pulling that air through the radiator (when the
car is in motion).  If the ambient air temperature is 90^ or better - it has
less effect on cooling the water.  The electric fans help by generating air
flow when the car is not in motion.

There are only two places for the air to escape the engine compartment (on a
TR3 but similar for other cars) -through the vent slots at the top rear edge
of the bonnet/hood or under the car (through the transmission tunnel).
Since the top escape is limited - most of the heat is directed down and back
- against the firewall and through the tunnel.  That creates the large
amount of heat in the cockpit area.  It is aggravated by the placement of
the exhaust system(first muffler) under the passenger side. Hence the desire
to insulate the cockpit.  R15(x2) on the firewall; floor; tranny tunnel; R15
elsewhere.   Also it will provide some relief from road noise (when the
curtains/hood are installed)

It is my understanding that some racers install a deflector at the bottom of
the radiator which helps create a negative pressure behind the radiator and
below the front of the engine.  This helps pull the hot air (after the
radiator) down and below the car rather than into the firewall and then down
into the tunnel.   I have installed a 1 1/2" deflector in the front cross
member below the radiator (it also protects the alloy sump).  We'll see if
it helps.

As to vapor lock... Do you have a heat shield between the manifold and
carbs?  Again - the hot air generated by the manifold has to go somewhere...
the shield deflects it to the rear of the carbs so that it can then flow up
(or down) and out of the engine compartment.

Carl