Re: [TR] steering wheel nut

To: "'John Gillis'" <JGILLIS@tcd.ie>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] steering wheel nut
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 09:28:06 -0700
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
IMO you're approaching it wrong, John.  The steering box itself has a
definite center point, where you can feel that the worm/peg clearance goes
to zero.  (Or you can check the angle of the pitman arm to the steering
column, as shown in the workshop manual.)  You should install the steering
wheel with the box centered, then adjust the tie rods as necessary to get
the car to track straight with the box (and wheel) centered.

For tightening the nut that holds the wheel to the shaft, I just pull the
stator tube out all the way with the wires inside it.  It only takes a few
minutes to disconnect the wires beforehand and reconnect them afterwards.
Perhaps I have a problem, but on my TR3 that nut needs to be really tight or
the wheel will work on the splines.  I wouldn't want to try to get it tight
enough with just pliers.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html