Re: [TR] Adding a VSS pulse generator inline with speedometer cable

To: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Adding a VSS pulse generator inline with speedometer cable
From: Brad Kahler <bkahler1@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:04:01 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type; bh=+RVu6w1fAffQYCRiLKX+zM9Y0jtquPMCMMvOVcXbKzI=; b=ZNZFGJCiVUP4micDAvpFM3U4CeoFCZ/Tb06jRFqccSCcE225hi6hFTKplXojQ2w9Zs jhyGQtJ8wkz75aIQc5b/JQ1/qla56K/IQ9c+R+o+EKMceURC4QFRZDdM8xUjI1j8VU++ CdTzxeJLwcngtBQbyt4yN0pOZ22GVIFSn/bYcBpQYsb7+5k5JebYfHELDwYyGw3CTkLn SrLJSvyCvbFEmgSd8mjDRG8mSqv7m8UNBoSIGgWHwESnSUvBaNs0ebAjvvzgO4phCdM6 BK5gc/EVd7ey0OR30eaHoPWgnw50PWM6XnjETsPaq47UJ/KKLHmnfZS2YR4BlmXGoH9f bw5Q==
Sender: triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net
No, I don't.

Since the new cruise units are designed to work with modern cars I would
imagine whatever is typical for a modern VSS would be appropriate.

Just shows you how little I know about modern cars :)

If it was made after about 1973 I don't know much about them!

Brad

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:02 AM, John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com> wrote:

> You could also get (or build) a converter that will take ignition pulses
> and give you a VSS signal.  Do you know what the Specs are for the VSS that
> your unit wants?
>

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Brad Kahler <bkahler1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Geo,
>>
>> This one doesn't allow connecting to the ignition coil as a speed source
>> either.  It seems that all of them on the market now require a VSS signal,
>> pulse generator in the speedo cable or else magnets on the drive shaft.
>>
>> Also the one you've listed is a vacuum unit and I prefer the electric
>> servo
>> type.
>>
>> I installed an SCS/Frigette cruise control with electric servo unit on my
>> Spitfire back in 1998 and it worked great.  Bud Rolofson then installed
>> one
>> on his TR6 and it's been working great all these years.  Now that I want
>> install one in my TR4 they don't make the style that will sense speed from
>> the ignition coil.
>>
>> The two simplest options are a VSS in the speedometer cable or the magnets
>> on the drive shaft.  I haven't given up on the speedometer cable option
>> just yet, still a few more places to check with.  Barring that I'll
>> probably end up with the magnets on the drive shaft.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brad

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html