Re: [TR] Putting back together after 35 yrs

To: "'Harold Sawatsky'" <hsawatsk@sasktel.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Putting back together after 35 yrs
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 13:54:01 -0800
> I look at the distributor and notice that the vacuum was
> intentionally plugged. As I recall now there was never a
> vacuum advance tube ever coming off the distributor when I
> bought the car in '75. What is the potential significance of
> this and is it necessary to have that done correctly. The car
> ran fine back then and the only reason I started the frame
> off was the timing chain tensioner broke.

The vacuum advance is basically to improve fuel economy during cruise
conditions.  It also produces a slight improvement in throttle
response IMO, but probably not enough to notice unless you've recently driven
with the advance working.  But it has no effect on
starting, idling, or maximum power.  So you can leave it capped if you like.
If you have the stock SU carbs, also make sure the
port underneath the front carb is plugged as otherwise it will suck air (and
dirt) and upset the mixture.

> The other pretty simple question that I hesitate to ask
> however, there is a ground cable attached to the engine on
> the exhaust side. Where on the body is this attached. Sorry
> for the dumb question however want to get this right.

The stock ground cable is on the distributor side, and runs from one of the
timing cover bolts to one of the motor mount bolts into
the frame.  Here's a nice photo of it (on a later TR3A with the split steering
column) from Don Elliott.
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/Misc%20parts/DonElliott-TR3enginegroundstrap.jpg.html

> Last thing, does anyone have any detailed pictures of the
> engine compartment they could send me. I know this may be a
> PIA but if you can, that would be invaluable.

My TR3 is slightly later, with front disc brakes, but there might be a few
helpful photos in here:
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/library/TS13571L

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **