[Fot] Flat towing a Vitesse

Subject: [Fot] Flat towing a Vitesse
From: jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com (Jack Wheeler)
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 21:58:06 +0000 (UTC)
I started out in 1974, flat towing my TR-4 behind a 6 cylinder Mustang.? After
2 driver's schools (one snowed out and rescheduled the following weekend at St.
Louis), my second Regional Race was at Nelson Ledges on a weekend in early May,
which has appropriately become known as "The Mother's Day Massacre".? After
raining all night, a stream was running across the track, just after the
Start/Finish line.? At the start, one of the lead cars went sideways in the
stream, and collected most of the field.? I was close to the back, and was able
to get my car stopped, but the other TR-4 in the race (behind me) couldn't get
stopped and plowed right into me.? It was very much in question whether I would
be able to flat tow it home, but I finally hammerred it out enough to make it
towable (albeit, not quite in a straight line).? The first thing I did when I
got home was to have a trailer built, which I still have, and use, today.
Anyone remember the snowed out driver's school at Mid-America Raceway (near St.
Louis) in March of 1974?? If I hadn't had snow tires on the race car, I never
would have made it out of there, flat towing behind my girlfriend's Mustang.

Surely, some of you will remember the Mother's Day Massacre?? Fred Baker was in
that race with the E-Type.? I think Ken Slagle was also in that race with his
TR-8.? Good (and bad) memories.

Best Regards

Jack

    On Friday, May 4, 2018, 5:37:33 PM EDT, <riverside at southslope.net>