[Fot] Fwd: Re: Group 44 car found

Subject: [Fot] Fwd: Re: Group 44 car found
From: tim at grassrootsmotorsports.com (Tim Suddard)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 07:42:51 -0400
Jim,

She drove a Bugeye, which might be what you are thinking. I talked to Bob
Tullius, who I have come to know well and who lives near me now, and he
definitely built her a TR3 for the 1965 season, because as Bob phrased it, she
was tired of getting beat in her MGB by the TR3s. So I am pretty sure she drove
an MGB as well.

I got a lot of correspondence between Donna Mae and Bill Emery, who owned the
car, I now have. They definitely knew each other pretty well and talked about
him having her old car.

The car I got was originally red and then was painted pink, which is in
accordance to the whole story. There are certainly not many pink TR3s.

I also have a letter from Emery (actually to someone on the FOT list, as I
remember), where he described who the previous owners of this Group 44 car were
and what parts were still on it and what he used on his race car, the bottom
one on the stack.

Others mentioned what could be saved on this car. A cursory inspection tells us
the frame, rear end, inner fender wells up front, and some of the other body
panels are savable. The rest of the front end, some interior parts etc. are in
boxes that came with it.

It blows my mind that the previous owner had had the car for at least 20 years,
knew it was a Group 44 car and let it rust in his back yard and used it for
parts, even cutting the left rear off of it and attaching it to his race car,
again the bottom one on the stack.

As for the George Washington?s axe analogy, I totally get that, but there is
quite a bit of original axe here and still usable. And everything I do and
would to to this car goes right on to our website and into our magazine, so I
have no desire to deceive anyone.

As for the danger in stacking the cars, they are strapped to one another, and
out in my pole barn, so they are perfectly safe. The reason they are stacked,
is the with all the other future projects I have out there and the room that my
mighty ramp truck, that I will be brining to Pittsburgh, takes, I am starting
to have to stack things up a bit.

The car on the bottom of the stack was raced or hill climbed since nearly new
and has quite a history of SCCA racing. Other than the ugly flares and cage it
could probably be gotten ready for Pittsburgh. it is that complete and nice.

I don?t really want to dismantle it to save the Group 44 car, as it is a nice
car with its own history.

So that?s where things are at. I don?t need three TR3 race cars, but it appears
that is now my number. I will let things sit as they are in the pole barn,
until I get a couple more project cars done and then figure out a more decisive
plan.

See you all soon.

Tim Suddard
Publisher:
Grassroots Motorsports magazine
Classic Motorsports magazine

Phone: (386) 239-0523 ? Fax: (386) 239 0573
www. GrassrootsMotorsports.com
www.ClassicMotorsports.com

915 Ridgewood Avenue
Holly Hill, FL 32117

Upcoming Events:
Classic Motorsports Monterey Kickoff Cruise-in - August 21
Classic Motorsports Concours d?Lemons at Monterey - August 25
Grassroots Motorsports $2017 Challenge - Oct. 12-13