Re: [TR] Starting a dry engine advice sought

To: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul1@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Starting a dry engine advice sought
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw360@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 07:03:27 -0700
Cc: tr3driver@ca.rr.com, "Triumph list Team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Paul,

Was the engine run at all after the rebuild?  In particular, was the cam
break-in done (assuming a new cam was part of the rebuild)?

The instructions for the last cam I broke in was non-detergent 30wt with ZDDP
additive.  Iâ??m usually in the camp of use an oil with the ZDDP already in it,
but thatâ??s what the cam manufacturer wanted, so thatâ??s what I used.

-Darrell

> On Sep 3, 2018, at 7:20 AM, Paul Dorsey <dorpaul1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's been about 10-20 years since I've run my Triumph and I did so after the
> engine had just been rebuilt.  I know it makes people cringe, but that's just
> the way it is.
> Im hoping to start it today.  There's no oil in it and I'm about ready to go
> to Autozone for some more.  ISTO REmember that a good grade of 20w50 is
> probly what I want to aim for,but, I wonder if 10w30 might be better for a
> dry engine.  If you want me to start with a thinner oil and after 10 minutes
> of run time, change out to 20w50 I can do that to.  Maybe a cdhange of oil
> filter is advisable too.
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/darrellw360@mac.com