Re: [TR] what type of prop shaft to get

To: Sujit Roy <triumphstag@gmail.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] what type of prop shaft to get
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 18:21:44 -0600

--------------7EBD272C6C81733627109C1F

On 6/11/2019 5:23 PM, Sujit Roy wrote:

> While talking this guy, he said donâ??t get the one with the CV joints.
> CV joints are not suited for prop shafts. I didnâ??t probe why but am
> curious if there is any truth to what he said.

Hmm, that doesn't make much sense to me.  CV stands for constant
velocity, so the angular momentum of the shaft stays relatively
constant, instead of the sinusoidal loading of u-joints.  These joints
have worked pretty well in axle shafts for now about fifty years.
Providing that there's nothing amiss in the design or manufacture or
torque specs of the specific CV joints used in the newer propshaft, I
don't see any problem with them.  If anything, they should smooth out
the irregular loading on the pinion.  And, if the linear displacement of
two CV joints is the same as the splined driveshaft, that eliminates the
splines.

Nope, doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

--------------7EBD272C6C81733627109C1F

  <head>
  </head>
cite="mid:CANLCLaFHEesFNdRZBLzx9gUrRdU2gASVvDnZQ_Dyx_c_1G3HxA@mail.gmail.com">

8pt;line-height:107%;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">While
          talking this guy, he said donâ??t get the one with the
          CV joints. CV joints are not suited for prop shafts. I didnâ??t
          probe why but am
          curious if there is any truth to what he said.</p>
      velocity, so the angular momentum of the shaft stays relatively
      constant, instead of the sinusoidal loading of u-joints.  These
      joints have worked pretty well in axle shafts for now about fifty
      years.  Providing that there's nothing amiss in the design or
      manufacture or torque specs of the specific CV joints used in the
      newer propshaft, I don't see any problem with them.  If anything,
      they should smooth out the irregular loading on the pinion.  And,
      if the linear displacement of two CV joints is the same as the
      splined driveshaft, that eliminates the splines.</p>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance....</pre>

--------------7EBD272C6C81733627109C1F--

--===============3311588462617593442==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **