Re: [TR] Aluminum head?

To: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Aluminum head?
From: "Wbeech@flash.net" <wbeech@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 22:11:45 -0500
Cc: "Triumph list Team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Oh wow, my â??66 TR4 Motor has an aluminium head, am I doomed?  Discovered a
water leak after I bought it, bad weld job on the one of channels in the block
that fouled the head seal.  Filed it, fixed it, remember only 70ftlbs on the
studs.  ISTR the liners were not as proud of the block as some say they should
be.
Bill
Sent from my IBM 8088

On Sep 2, 2019, at 8:50 PM, Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com> wrote:

> On 9/2/2019 7:10 PM, Paul Dorsey wrote:
> Gotcha!  I may be dumb but   I I am dumb, but,Iâ??m no dummy, I donâ??t have
> an aluminum head on my motor. Do theymake aluminum heads for our motor or do
> they? Anyway theyâ??re out of my price range.
>   As I was loosening the bolts that hold the head on,  I got to thinking, I
> wonder if there is a sequence for loosening these head nuts .   Metal bends,
> You know. Perhaps that is more critical for something like aluminum heads.

There have been attempts at making aluminum heads for the wet-sleeve engines,
but they've been largely unsuccessful, for one major reason--they have been
designed as analogues of the cast-iron head done in aluminum--dimensionally and
in configuration, they're duplicates of the original.  For that reason, they
don't have the mechanical strength of the cast-iron heads, and can't force down
the liners as well as the originals, and therefore tend to leak.  There are a
couple of people on the lists who have installed them on their engines.

The problem is beam strength.  Cast aluminum simply isn't as strong as cast
iron, so if the dimensions are identical, then the cast aluminum head will tend
to bend around the liners rather than punching them down into the figure-eight
gaskets.  That produces leaks at the head gasket.  An aluminum head for the
engine is a good idea, but not as currently done.  Future examples really
should consider radical redesigns to accommodate wet-sleeve construction, in
the way of increasing beam strength.  I've done some preliminary work on just
that--thicker, taller heads in which the outer perimeter is raised and
thickened, using a flatter cast valve cover socketed into the upper surface so
it occupies the same space.  And, of course, adding crossflow port
configuration, which should have been done right from the start.  It also
wouldn't hurt to machine the block lower cylinder lands smooth and machine the
cylinders for o-rings, which solves the figure-8 gasket compression sealing
problem.  The cylinders only need to stand proud enough (a thousandth or so) to
ensure that the cylinder head locks them to the block so they don't travel up
and down with piston motion.

Something like that would work prettyOn 9/2/2019 7:10 PM, Paul Dorsey wrote:
> Gotcha!  I may be dumb but   I I am dumb, but,Iâ??m no dummy, I donâ??t have
> an aluminum head on my motor. Do theymake aluminum heads for our motor or do
> they? Anyway theyâ??re out of my price range.
>   As I was loosening the bolts that hold the head on,  I got to thinking, I
> wonder if there is a sequence for loosening these head nuts .   Metal bends,
> You know. Perhaps that is more critical for something like aluminum heads.

There have been attempts at making aluminum heads for the wet-sleeve engines,
but they've been largely unsuccessful, for one major reason--they have been
designed as analogues of the cast-iron head done in aluminum--dimensionally and
in configuration, they're duplicates of the original.  For that reason, they
don't have the mechanical strength of the cast-iron heads, and can't force down
the liners as well as the originals, and therefore tend to leak.  There are a
couple of people on the lists who have installed them on their engines.

The problem is beam strength.  Cast aluminum simply isn't as strong as cast
iron, so if the dimensions are identical, then the cast aluminum head will tend
to bend around the liners rather than punching them down into the figure-eight
gaskets.  That produces leaks at the head gasket.  An aluminum head for the
engine is a good idea, but not as currently done.  Future examples really
should consider radical redesigns to accommodate wet-sleeve construction, in
the way of increasing beam strength.  I've done some preliminary work on just
that--thicker, taller heads in which the outer perimeter is raised and
thickened, using a flatter cast valve cover socketed into the upper surface so
it occupies the same space.  And, of course, adding crossflow port
configuration, which should have been done right from the start.  It also
wouldn't hurt to machine the block lower cylinder lands smooth and machine the
cylinders for o-rings, which solves the figure-8 gasket compression sealing
problem.  The cylinders only need to stand proud enough (a thousandth or so) to
ensure that the cylinder head locks them to the block so they don't travel up
and down with piston motion.

Something like that would work pretty well, methinks.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: