Re: [TR] Aluminum head?

To: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Aluminum head?
From: Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 23:35:43 -0500
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--000000000000d74f1205919e9fda

So will an aluminum cross flow GT6 head fit a 2.5 liter too?  If so the
offset bonnet bulge club would like to know which side is intake on?

My work on my high flow cast iron head has kind of stalled out.

Greg Lemon
TR250

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019, 10:40 PM Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com> wrote:

> On 9/2/2019 9:11 PM, Wbeech@flash.net wrote:
> > Oh wow, my =E2=80=9866 TR4 Motor has an aluminium head, am I doomed?  D=
iscovered
> a water leak after I bought it, bad weld job on the one of channels in th=
> block that fouled the head seal.  Filed it, fixed it, remember only 70ftl=
bs
> on the studs.  ISTR the liners were not as proud of the block as some say
> they should be.
>
> You've probably averted problems because the liners weren't sticking up
> to spec (especially toward the high side of the tolerance).
>
> It's a curious situation.  The heads aren't wildly popular because of
> the price, so the number of them actually out there is pretty small,
> relatively speaking.  But, they also might be fairly rare because the
> few people that did buy them couldn't get them to seal and, thinking it
> was their fault, that there was something special about the product that
> they didn't understand, and went back to cast-iron heads.
>
> I knew there was at least one person on the list with one, and I think
> two, because I remember a message maybe a couple of decades ago, in the
> early days of the list, from someone having trouble getting one to seal
> properly.
>
> (Not against aluminum heads, at all.  There are advantages to them.  I
> just think, because of the small variability of the figure-eight gaskets
> and the cylinder heights, that they're probably ill-suited, in the
> configuration they're being produced, for wet-sleeve engines.  I've been
> designing, off and on, on a 4-valve OHC head for the GT6 which, now that
> there's machinable wax available for 3D-printers, can be 3D-printed and
> investment-cast.)
>

> Cheers.
>
> --
>

> Michael Porter
> Roswell, NM
>

> Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
> distance....
>

> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grglmn@gmail.com

--000000000000d74f1205919e9fda

oo?=C2=A0 If so the offset bonnet bulge club would like to know which side =
gh flow cast iron head has kind of stalled out.=C2=A0<br><div dir=3D"auto">=
ir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Sep 2, 2019, 10:40 PM Michael Porte=
r &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mdporter@dfn.com";>mdporter@dfn.com</a>&gt; wrote:<b=
r></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border=
-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On 9/2/2019 9:11 PM, <a href=3D"mail=
to:Wbeech@flash.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">Wbeech@flash.net<=
/a> wrote:<br>
&gt; Oh wow, my =E2=80=9866 TR4 Motor has an aluminium head, am I doomed?=
=C2=A0 Discovered a water leak after I bought it, bad weld job on the one o=
f channels in the block that fouled the head seal.=C2=A0 Filed it, fixed it=
, remember only 70ftlbs on the studs.=C2=A0 ISTR the liners were not as pro=
ud of the block as some say they should be.<br>
You&#39;ve probably averted problems because the liners weren&#39;t stickin=
g up <br>
to spec (especially toward the high side of the tolerance).<br>
It&#39;s a curious situation.=C2=A0 The heads aren&#39;t wildly popular bec=
ause of <br>
the price, so the number of them actually out there is pretty small, <br>
relatively speaking.=C2=A0 But, they also might be fairly rare because the =
few people that did buy them couldn&#39;t get them to seal and, thinking it=
was their fault, that there was something special about the product that <b=
r>
they didn&#39;t understand, and went back to cast-iron heads.<br>
I knew there was at least one person on the list with one, and I think <br>
two, because I remember a message maybe a couple of decades ago, in the <br=

early days of the list, from someone having trouble getting one to seal <br=

properly.<br>
(Not against aluminum heads, at all.=C2=A0 There are advantages to them.=C2=
=A0 I <br>
just think, because of the small variability of the figure-eight gaskets <b=
r>
and the cylinder heights, that they&#39;re probably ill-suited, in the <br>
configuration they&#39;re being produced, for wet-sleeve engines.=C2=A0 I&#=
39;ve been <br>
designing, off and on, on a 4-valve OHC head for the GT6 which, now that <b=
r>
there&#39;s machinable wax available for 3D-printers, can be 3D-printed and=
investment-cast.)<br>
Cheers.<br>
-- <br>
Michael Porter<br>
Roswell, NM<br>
Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it&#39;s within walking dist=
ance....<br>
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nore=
ferrer">triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **<br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>