Re: [TR] Tr3a steering tight after rebuild

To: andrew uprichard <auprichard@uprichard.net> a=vlTdEuokKsLWWR+7xTj6Hw==:17 a=IkcTkHD0fZMA:10 a=J5Jfo_ckAAAA:8 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=cnIX8SVir01Hdh-efXYA:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=pjL6iD4Q3Ml28u33qGFb:22 a=GGGinmgZRQXmVEG1E52S:22 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0
Subject: Re: [TR] Tr3a steering tight after rebuild
From: Art McEwen <amcewen2@cogeco.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 16:35:54 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
The tie rods added to stiffness that was already there.  I used the
remove-shims-until-no-more-play method.   I've since resplit the shaft and I
think some of it has come from either end but I'm going to pull the box out
again and bring it back to the bench.

> On May 17, 2020, at 3:21 PM, andrew uprichard <auprichard@uprichard.net>
> wrote:
>
> (Where is Randall when you need him?  ð???)
>
> When you say "significantly tighter" is this turning the steering with the
> tie rods connected ? You should be able to turn the steering wheel with a
> finger tip if the car is in the air.  You should also be able to grab a wheel
> and take it through its full range of motion (everything connected) fairly
> easily.
>
> The felt at the steering wheel should not be an issue - and, if anything,
> should just be soaked in oil prior to installation.
>
> If it is binding, and not eased by loosening the box (and, by inference, the
> pressure on the peg) it is probably related more to the shims at the bottom
> of the box than the bearings themselves.  Did you follow the method Randall
> suggests with measuring end-float and shimming appropriately?
>
> Andrew Uprichard
> Jackson, Michigan

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html