Re: [TR] GT6 transmission

To: "elliottr@rmi.net" <elliottr@rmi.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] GT6 transmission
From: "Andrew S. Mace" <zoboherald@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 03:33:30 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_2914019_557280723.1594092810631

 That Dolomite box was also essentially the same box used in the early four=
-speed TR7s; again, the ratios are pretty much identical. For warranty and/=
or rebuilt-exchange at some point "back then," it would not have been too s=
urprising to have had BL supply a gearbox that might have originated in ano=
ther car. And the same could have happened any time since. Maybe 20 years a=
go or so, it was often cheaper (even with shipping) to buy a rebuilt gearbo=
x from England than to have one rebuilt here in the US. That's how a Triump=
h Toledo gearbox ended up in a friend's MkIV Spitfire; again, virtually ide=
ntical boxes. (I know this because I helped my friend purchase and install =
that Toledo gearbox, to replace a tired, non-synchro-first box from an earl=
ier Spitfire. (He was very happy with the improvement!)
--AndyAndrew Mace
=20
=20