Re: [TR] Wire Wheel Wear and Other Issues...

Subject: Re: [TR] Wire Wheel Wear and Other Issues...
From: Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:15:38 -0500
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--000000000000c6404a05e6f0be15

Did you replace the hubs along with the rear wheels?  Hubs can wear too, so
even if you put new wheels on you will get the back and forth motion
(especially at the rear, driven wheels) that slowly hammers out the
tolerances over time.

I have read all the theory on self tightening spinners, but I have always
put them on good and tight plus a few knocks more for good measure.

When young I had lots of cars with worn splines, and a good tightening
would stop them from knocking (for a while anyway, then they would start
again, I believe the self tightening thing may work, but maybe not so much
for well worn wheels and hubs?).

Greg Lemon
TR250

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022, 5:49 PM Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast.net> wrote:

> I would think that such wear would not happen with properly greased spine=
> and tightened knock-offs
>
> You were not specific, but I bet you have an IRS TR6.  Other sources of
> clunking are the half-shaft splines and the shock absorber mounting bolts=
.

> U-joints, six of them(!) can go bad and develop a click or a clunk.  On
> one of my cars 5 of 6 were BAD. Really bad!  The clicking/clunking was
> noticeable but not exceptional except for the super extra bad u-joint at
> the front of the drive shaft. That one was so bad I don=E2=80=99t know ho=
w it
> didn=E2=80=99t fall apart!  The rollers were in fragments!!
>
> I have balanced my tires the old fashioned way on a bubble balance.
>
> Don=E2=80=99t just get the bubble =E2=80=9Cinside the ring=E2=80=9D.  Get=
 it dead center.  Then
> lift the wheel off the balancer, rotate the balancer a bit, and put it ba=
ck
> down again.  Verify the bubble is still dead center.
>
> When I do it this way, I do not notice and out-of balance vibration.
> Though wire wheels can go out of true.
>
> My center lock alloys feel perfectly balanced to me
>
> -Tony
>

> > On Aug 23, 2022, at 3:06 PM, triumphs-request@autox.team.net wrote:
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 09:26:47 -0400
> > From: Rochlin Robert <rrochlin@comcast.net>
> > To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>, TR3 Triumphs
> >    <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> > Subject: [TR] Wire Wheel Wear and Other Issues...
> >
> >    I have had an increasing ?clunk? from the rear right of my car this
> season.  I tracked it down to the splines on my wire wheel being worn and
> allowing radial play on the wheel hub.  Since getting the wires about 20
> years ago I?ve been good about keeping them tight on the wheels and am a
> bit puzzled as to why there seems to be such wear after less than 40,000
> miles.
> >    This brings me to my next issue.  I?m having trouble finding a tire
> shop , that after I swap the spare for the worn wheel can balance wire
> wheels properly.  The one place that I was sure could properly balance th=
> wheels, Her Majesty?s Auto Service in Swansea MA. seems to have gone out =
of
> business and I can?t seem to goggle another local place that has the
> adapters to accurately balance the wire wheels. Any assistance in finding=
> Massachusetts  tire shop that could do the work  would be appreciated.
> >    Best,
> >    Bob
> >    ?72 TR6
>
> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **

> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grglmn@gmail.com

--000000000000c6404a05e6f0be15

=A0 Hubs can wear too, so even if you put new wheels on you will get the ba=
ck and forth motion (especially at the rear, driven wheels) that slowly ham=
uto">I have read all the theory on self tightening spinners, but I have alw=
ays put them on good and tight plus a few knocks more for good measure.=C2=
ad lots of cars with worn splines, and a good tightening would stop them fr=
om knocking (for a while anyway, then they would start again, I believe the=
 self tightening thing may work, but maybe not so much for well worn wheels=
_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Aug 23, 2022, 5:49 PM=
 Anthony Rhodes &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spamiam@comcast.net";>spamiam@comcast.=
in:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I would think th=
at such wear would not happen with properly greased spines and tightened kn=
ock-offs<br>
You were not specific, but I bet you have an IRS TR6.=C2=A0 Other sources o=
f clunking are the half-shaft splines and the shock absorber mounting bolts=
.=C2=A0 <br>
U-joints, six of them(!) can go bad and develop a click or a clunk.=C2=A0 O=
n one of my cars 5 of 6 were BAD. Really bad!=C2=A0 The clicking/clunking w=
as noticeable but not exceptional except for the super extra bad u-joint at=
 the front of the drive shaft. That one was so bad I don=E2=80=99t know how=
 it didn=E2=80=99t fall apart!=C2=A0 The rollers were in fragments!!<br>
I have balanced my tires the old fashioned way on a bubble balance.=C2=A0 <=
br>
Don=E2=80=99t just get the bubble =E2=80=9Cinside the ring=E2=80=9D.=C2=A0 =
Get it dead center.=C2=A0 Then lift the wheel off the balancer, rotate the =
balancer a bit, and put it back down again.=C2=A0 Verify the bubble is stil=
l dead center.=C2=A0 <br>
When I do it this way, I do not notice and out-of balance vibration.=C2=A0 =
Though wire wheels can go out of true.=C2=A0 <br>
My center lock alloys feel perfectly balanced to me<br>
-Tony <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Aug 23, 2022, at 3:06 PM, <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs-request@autox.=
team.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">triumphs-request@autox.team.=
net</a> wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Message: 1<br>
&gt; Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 09:26:47 -0400<br>
&gt; From: Rochlin Robert &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rrochlin@comcast.net"; targe=
t=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">rrochlin@comcast.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; To: &quot;<a href=3D"mailto:6pack@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" re=
l=3D"noreferrer">6pack@autox.team.net</a>&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:6pack=
@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">6pack@autox.team.net<=
/a>&gt;, TR3 Triumphs<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target=3D"=
_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">triumphs@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Subject: [TR] Wire Wheel Wear and Other Issues...<br>
&gt; Message-ID: &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:3BBAEE06-2714-49AB-926C-ADCAC69837AF=
@comcast.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">3BBAEE06-2714-49AB-926C-=
ADCAC69837AF@comcast.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Content-Type: text/plain;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 charset=3Dutf-8<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 I have had an increasing ?clunk? from the rear right of m=
y car this season.=C2=A0 I tracked it down to the splines on my wire wheel =
being worn and allowing radial play on the wheel hub.=C2=A0 Since getting t=
he wires about 20 years ago I?ve been good about keeping them tight on the =
wheels and am a bit puzzled as to why there seems to be such wear after les=
s than 40,000 miles. <br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 This brings me to my next issue.=C2=A0 I?m having trouble=
 finding a tire shop , that after I swap the spare for the worn wheel can b=
alance wire wheels properly.=C2=A0 The one place that I was sure could prop=
erly balance the wheels, Her Majesty?s Auto Service in Swansea MA. seems to=
 have gone out of business and I can?t seem to goggle another local place t=
hat has the adapters to accurately balance the wire wheels. Any assistance =
in finding a Massachusetts=C2=A0 tire shop that could do the work=C2=A0 wou=
ld be appreciated.<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Best,<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Bob<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 ?72 TR6<br>