Re: [TR] Wire Wheel Wear and Other Issues...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Wire Wheel Wear and Other Issues...
From: Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 15:54:26 -0400
I would think that such wear would not happen with properly greased spines and
tightened knock-offs

You were not specific, but I bet you have an IRS TR6.  Other sources of
clunking are the half-shaft splines and the shock absorber mounting bolts.

U-joints, six of them(!) can go bad and develop a click or a clunk.  On one of
my cars 5 of 6 were BAD. Really bad!  The clicking/clunking was noticeable but
not exceptional except for the super extra bad u-joint at the front of the
drive shaft. That one was so bad I donâ??t know how it didnâ??t fall apart!
The rollers were in fragments!!

I have balanced my tires the old fashioned way on a bubble balance.

Donâ??t just get the bubble â??inside the ringâ??.  Get it dead center.  Then
lift the wheel off the balancer, rotate the balancer a bit, and put it back
down again.  Verify the bubble is still dead center.

When I do it this way, I do not notice and out-of balance vibration.  Though
wire wheels can go out of true.

My center lock alloys feel perfectly balanced to me

-Tony

> On Aug 23, 2022, at 3:06 PM, triumphs-request@autox.team.net wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 09:26:47 -0400
> From: Rochlin Robert <rrochlin@comcast.net>
> To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>, TR3 Triumphs
>    <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: [TR] Wire Wheel Wear and Other Issues...
>
>    I have had an increasing ?clunk? from the rear right of my car this
> season.  I tracked it down to the splines on my wire wheel being worn and
> allowing radial play on the wheel hub.  Since getting the wires about 20
> years ago I?ve been good about keeping them tight on the wheels and am a bit
> puzzled as to why there seems to be such wear after less than 40,000 miles.
>    This brings me to my next issue.  I?m having trouble finding a tire shop ,
> that after I swap the spare for the worn wheel can balance wire wheels
> properly.  The one place that I was sure could properly balance the wheels,
> Her Majesty?s Auto Service in Swansea MA. seems to have gone out of business
> and I can?t seem to goggle another local place that has the adapters to
> accurately balance the wire wheels. Any assistance in finding a Massachusetts
>  tire shop that could do the work  would be appreciated.
>    Best,
>    Bob
>    ?72 TR6

** triumphs@autox.team.net **