Re: Race tires

To: Silikal@aol.com
Subject: Re: Race tires
From: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 09:50:00 -0500

> Not many people are running the Hoosiers, so I haven't heard anything
> about them.  All this is IM*very*HO, and I hope more people comment.
> You may also try posting to the wheel-to-wheel and autocross lists --
> wheeltowheel@abingdon.sun.com / autox@autox.team.net

I've run both BFG TA-R1s and Hoosiers on my 1600 Alfa, but have little to
report. I ran the BFGs for two seasons. They lasted an average of about 400
miles per set, but I bought 6 at a time and rotated religiously to even out
wear. They had good turn-in, and (contrary to many other opinions I've
heard) I found them very predictable at the limit. Specs were -1.5 deg neg
camber, no toe, running 185/70s on 5.5 in Panasport lites.

I just switched over to the Hoosiers for Watkins Glen. It was so cold (never
above 50 deg.) that I never got them warmed up. They still seemed to have
more traction than I would have expected in the cold, but felt REALLY
STRANGE on the warm-up laps, as the bias plies heated up!

Comparative lap times will have to wait till '96, but I expect two factors
to help: The tread width is aboutthe same as the R1s, but grooves are MUCH
smaller, meaning more rubber onthe road. Plus, the rolling diameter is 1
inch less, amounting to a 4 % lower gear ratio. Since I get to the top of
5th only at Road Atlanta, I expect it to have more accelleration, helping
lap times in many courses.

FOTEC IS MOVING - NEW PHONE AND FAX #s EFFECTIVE DEC 4 !!!!!
Jim Hayes                                     fotec,inc.
jeh@fotec.com                                 529 main st.
541-0037@MCImail.com                          boston,ma 02129
phone: 1-800-537-8254    1-617-396-6155       fax: 1-617-396-6395
Fotec WWW Home Page: http://www.std.com/fotec