RoadRacing VW's

To: "'Vintage Race'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RoadRacing VW's
From: "Warnock, Mike" <Warnock@engrnd.roundlake.baxter.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 95 10:10:00 PST
Hello to all on this list,
Let me start with a bit of introduction.  I have been lurking for a few
weeks to see what is happening here and have enjoyed two aspects; low
posting volume and to the point messages on vintage racing.  I am just
starting to plan a vintage racing effort and have been involved with
sportscar racing on and off for over 25yrs.  Mostly I have raced in
autocross (gymkana for old timers) and recently open track time trials.  In
the early 70's I road raced a VW Bug sedan with a local group known as the
Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs.  Other cars autocrossed include VW
bugs, VW Rabbit, Toyota and my current 67 Cougar.  The Cougar is set-up to
simulate the way the 67 Team Cougar Trans-Am cars were at the start of the
season, except it is meant for the street.  It still has a complete
interior, a modified 351W occupies the space of the original 289 and (good
grief) an automatic transmission.
My plan for vintage racing is (don't laugh) to race a VW Bug.  This is not
as goofy as it sounds.  In the late 50's and early 60's many a VW Bug graced
the grids at East and West coast events.  I have several magazines from that
era to prove the point.  In 1972 a VW Bug earned Volkswagen some
manufacturer's points in the 2.5 Challenge Series as part of the Trans-Am
Series.  That car was prepared by Treuhaft Engineering in California.  Does
anyone know the where abouts of this car?  It was retired after the 72
season and may have been sold to an autocrosser or club raced.  I have
located two VW race cars.  One built for road racing in the early 70's and
claimed to have entered at least one Trans-Am race at Road America.  The
other, also built in the early 70's, was autocrossed.  It's spec's are
similar to the road racer.  I am negociating on both of these cars and will
see what happens.  The autocrosser is more of a sure thing.  Can anyone help
me out on locating the preparation requirements for the 1972 2.5 Challenge
cars?  I have not tried the obvious, like writing SCCA yet.  Well, that's
all for now.  If you see a VW Bug running in the midwest in the next few
years, I hope it's me.
Mike Warnock
warnocm@baxter.com
103206.1235@compuserve.com