ESPN Palm Springs coverage

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: ESPN Palm Springs coverage
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 1995 10:34:57 -0500
If you missed it, its on again Tuesday, 12/26 at 4:30PM EST (that's 1:30PM
PST).

Coverage was far superior to last year's stop action slide show.  However,
with only 30 minutes, lots of commercials, and cuts to paddock and vintage
footage, actual race coverage was minimal (less than 2 minutes per race
group), leaving only green/checker flag shots and results, very limited race
action footage, which is unfortunate because there were lots of good dices
going on that weekend.

Lots of time was spent on the horrific incident in the Group 1 race where the
Alfa GTV lost its brakes and tagged the Lotus Mk9.  Fortunately or
unfortunately, it happened right in front of the camera, so its replayed
several times.  This is not the kind of coverage that vintage racing or VARA
needs. (Lets hope this doesn't end up on their annual "thrills & spills"
show).   Also, watch Dr. Riddell's neck (in the Mk9) at the time of
impact....it should encourage you to wear a horsecollar....I always do.  If
nothing else, the incident should teach us this lesson.

It would be nice to have a copy of the uncut footage they shot.  I'm going to
E-mail them to see if its possible to get it.  Anybody else interested if I'm
succesful??

Comments welcome.

Merry Christmas & Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen