Re: ESPN Palm Springs coverage

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: ESPN Palm Springs coverage
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 09:35:35 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 25 Dec 1995 MHKitchen@aol.com wrote:

> If you missed it, its on again Tuesday, 12/26 at 4:30PM EST (that's 1:30PM
> PST).

[stuff deleted...]

> Lots of time was spent on the horrific incident in the Group 1 race where the
> Alfa GTV lost its brakes and tagged the Lotus Mk9.  Fortunately or
> unfortunately, it happened right in front of the camera, so its replayed
> several times.  This is not the kind of coverage that vintage racing or VARA
> needs. (Lets hope this doesn't end up on their annual "thrills & spills"
> show).   Also, watch Dr. Riddell's neck (in the Mk9) at the time of
> impact....it should encourage you to wear a horsecollar....I always do.  If
> nothing else, the incident should teach us this lesson.

Unfortunately, the Lotus 9 crash _did_ make it to the "Thrills and
Spills" show which was aired a week or so prior to the Palm Springs coverage.

When I saw the initial footage I was quite surprised there was not any
serious injury... that was a pretty bad crash.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: You'll have to talk to my attorney about that topic...