Re: Driving to the course/Several msgs.

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driving to the course/Several msgs.
From: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 22:40:47 -0500
> I quite agree about driving to the limit of the course, and/or the
> tires, whichever is less!
Good advice. I've seen the results of overdriving the course at many events,
not sure if the worst was SVRA at several tracks or the VSCCA at Pittsburgh!
You'd think the VSCCA guys would have some respect for curbs, trees and
stone walls. I'm afraid that it's a problem of driver experience as much as
judgement.( Reminds me of the conversation Bob Akin and I had at Watkins
Glen this year waiting in vain for the fog to lift and watching a crunched
GT-40 get towed in.)
> courses. He said about the only way to really go fast is to convince yours
> that the barriers are made of foam rubber...
and the moon is made of green cheese...

Oh, about the comments on ESPN that vintage racing is getting national
attention, I reply "GROAN", and in ten years, it will be "remember how great
it was before it became so g-d popular?" I guess I'm just a vintage racing
isolationist, in spite of being on ESPN for about 20 sec. in my first
vintage race.
Does anybody know who produced that segment? Why don't we bombard ESPN with
complaints that that kind of coverage may be in the spirit of NASCAR but
sure ain't appropriate for vintage racing!
Jim

Jim Hayes - Alfa nut
jeh@fotec.com  tel:1-800-537-8254   fax:1-617-396-6395
Vintage racing '59 & '62 Alfa Spiders. Street ride: '57 Spider.
On the web: http://www.std.com/fotec/jim.htm
All generalizations, with the possible exception of this one, are false.