The real story of Palm Springs!!!

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: The real story of Palm Springs!!!
From: "Annis, Casey" <cannis@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 96 14:35:19 pst
     The accident which was unfortunately made a central showpiece of
     ESPN's coverage involved an Alfa GTV and a lotus MK9. These cars were
     appropriately classed based on speed and the fact that they were both
     closed wheel cars.(The drivers always have the right to ask to be
     reclassified if they are not comfortable in a particular group, and
     VARA is always happy to accomodate). These two were having a fine race
     with the Lotus of Dick Rydell quite capably keeping ahead of the Alfa
     when the Alfa suffered a complete brake master cylinder failure at the
     entrance to turn 1. If you watch the tape closely you'll see that the
     Alfa doesn't slow one iota!! Unfortunately, Rydell's gorgeous Lotus
     was the car in front of him and was collected. Both drivers got a good
     scare but everyone was fine after being checked out at the local
     hospital as a precaution.

        The 23b/corvette incident that has been discussed here, was part of
     the USRRC race put on by Victory Lane magazine at the promoter's
     request. VARA had no input into this event as far as classifications
     were concerned. Although, under and over two liter cars of these types
     did run together when the USRRC was originally run. Obviously it is
     very difficult to see a little 23B darting to the inside when you are
     driving a big corvette. While it was a close call, to the best of my
     knowledge, both drivers handled it well and there was no contact.

        As far as the ESPN coverage goes, we must all realize that ESPN is
     trying to make Vintage racing interesting to the GENERAL racing
     audience. This usually intails a lot of close calls and a selection of
     on-track incidents. But when you think about the fact that over 300
     cars raced for 4 days on a tiny concrete lined track through the
     streets of Palm Springs, the two or three incidents that they were
     able to catch really isn't to bad, all things considered.

        I had to grimace when I saw the coverage (especially after spending
     the last month trying to convince you guys what a safe bunch VARA
     is!!!). But the bottom line is, at least Vintage racing is starting to
     receive some good national attention. Just remember that this was a
     very large race on a very, very demanding track, and that there were
     very few incidents of any kind. That's pretty impressive when you
     think about it.

     Casey Annis
     Secretary
     VARA