Re: Summit Point Raceway

To: ktguchi@io.com
Subject: Re: Summit Point Raceway
From: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 22:29:07 -0500
> To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
> From: ktguchi@io.com (Kei Taniguchi)
> Subject: Summit Point Raceway
>
> Just got a call last night about the Jefferson 500 that will be at Summit
> Point Raceway in May and was just wondering what Summit Point is like and
> what accommodations  are available.

Summit is a neat 2 mile course on the West Virginia / Virginia border. It's
about 15 miles to Winchester, VA which offers major hotels, although I stay
at a place called Fort View with little cabins because I have been staying
there for several years  and know the owners. (Friendly couple. Never got a
Christmas Card from a motel before!)
THe track offers a long straight (~3000 ft) with the first 1/3 uphill, where
I get ~125 mph in my Alfa 1600 Veloce Spider. Average lap times are ony ~75
mph however, due to the very tight turn at the end of the straight (need
good brakes) and the "double carousel" that just goes on and on and on and
on... Surface is rough and patched too. Several areas flood in the rain.
Good spectator course, grandstands in the carousel are fun to watch from.
The Jefferson 500 is one of my favorite races because it's not part of any
organized club event and has a "formula libre" feel. You find everything
from prewars to Jaguar IMSA GTP cars, and everybody is just there to have
fun. Ony serious enduros for vintage too.
Y'all come! Stop by and visit - I'll have the yellow Alfa #37.
Jim

Jim Hayes - Alfa nut
jeh@fotec.com  tel:1-800-537-8254   fax:1-617-396-6395
Vintage racing '59 & '62 Alfa Spiders. Street ride: '57 Spider.
On the web: http://www.std.com/fotec/jim.htm
All generalizations, with the possible exception of this one, are false.