Vintage race advice, which club, class?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Vintage race advice, which club, class?
From: jurgensl@iscclink.is.qms.com
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 96 14:05:16 CST
     To all sportmanship-intensive vintage racers: Please recommend an
     org/class for me. I have a '67 Alfa Giulia Super 1600cc street machine
     (no race history) and live in Washington, DC area. Summit Pt. is my
     local track.

     I've been reading the mail this past wk and have flt resonance with
     many of you re: sportsmanship in racing. I, too, wish to find an
     organization/class where I can race without fear of corner-bumping or
     kamikaze braking.

     I was 1st licensed in '64 SCCA, Marlboro MD. We drove to the track,
     unbolted mufflers, taped headlights, and had good fun. We raced hard,
     we were competitive, we helped one another without hesitation, and
     "metal-to-metal" was a BIG DEAL! I moved to IMSA in '74 with an Alfa
     GTV and found the competition fierce. I quit after 2yrs.

     In '88 I had the urge again and ran an ITB Pinto (!!) in SCCA
     regionals. What a difference 20 yrs made! I'll spare the details, but
     on top of the bumper car kamikaze mentality, I was actually threatened
     by another competitor! Local SCCA workers were not terribly concerned;
     metal-bending is a "racing incident." Could be, but it should be taken
     seriously. I got the impression this was '90's norm. I haven't raced
     since.

     After spectating at the first Jefferson 500 at Summit Pt. a couple of
     yrs ago, I concluded that vintage racing might be right for me. I'm
     concerned, however, about SVRA's costs and intensity level on the
     track. Maybe there's another option. [TO Jim Hayes (Alfa nut): thanks
     for VSCCA tip & other advice.]

     Thanks for listening. I share all of this with you so that you might
     gain some insight to my motivations and concerns. Appreciate any/all

     JAKE