dual master brake cylinders

To: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: dual master brake cylinders
From: Dave Page <page@ra.isisnet.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 12:55:11 -0400
I have a '67 Triumph TR4A IRS that I have raced a few times in the =
Pacific Northwest (I'm now living in Nova Scotia where cars rot before =
they become vintage-eligible).  While racing, I encountered an unusual =
braking problem after taking high-speed corners - that is I'd have no =
brakes upon first pedal depression.  After one pump, the pedal would =
return until I took another high-speed corner, and then the problem =
would repeat itself.  Needless to say, this was a little disconcerting, =
as it had quite a negative effect on my lap times (didn't do much for my =
confidence either!). I've tried different fluids, checked the slave =
cylinders, checked the master (single), etc, etc.  but nothing seems to =
help.  I do have the rear shoes adjusted out 2 1/2 notches rather than =
the "street" setting of 1 1/2 but I received this recommendation out of =
the factory competition prep manual.  I noticed that on some of the =
older TR4's, there was a inline valve that kept some residual pressure =
in the rear brake line so that the shoes wouldn't recede too far from =
the drum.  This unit isn't available anymore and I'm at a loss for a =
cure.  I'm looking at going to dual cylinders for the added safety =
benefits but I'm not convinced this will cure my particular problem.  =
Any ideas?  Also, If anyone has recommendations as to what size master =
cylinders I should be looking at for my application, I would be forever =
indebted (as if I'm not already!).