Solid wheels for wire spoke hubs

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Solid wheels for wire spoke hubs
From: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu (Jim Isbell)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 14:00:00 -0600 (CST)
I am in the process of setting my '70 2+2 up for racing.  I do not feel the
spoked wheels are strong enough and want to run solid wheels.

But I dont want to change the hubs because I want to be able to put the
wires on for street use.

My solution:  I have a second set of wire wheels.  I propose to remove the
center hub and weld it into the center of a solid wheel carefully spacing it
so the tire is in the same position as it would normaly be in the wheelwell
and doing the cutting and welding on a lathe so it will be correctly ballanced.

Does anyone have any comments on this?

What kind of welding should I opt for (ARC of course, but any special alloys)?

Anyone ever hear of this being done?

Will the welding decrease the strength of the hub through the heating process?

Should I have the entire wheel heat treated after the welding is done?

If so, what procedure should I use?

Do you know anyone who could do the entire job with any reasonable
expertiese? (and cheap)

         JIM I.

"Prefiero morir de pie que vivir de rodillas."

                                                         Gen. Emiliano Zapata
                                                           1879-1919