Re: Irish windbag discusses Airbags...

To: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Subject: Re: Irish windbag discusses Airbags...
From: David Laver <dlaver@morgan.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 09:50:14 GMT
I'm not so gloomy.  As cars become less and less characterful people WILL
preserve the 'recent classics' just as they do now and just as they always have
done.

> Only somebody who owns a $250,000 car would think nothing of shelling
> out $5000-10000 for an adaptable ECU that can control anything.  Any car
> where the ECU costs more than the car is dead meat.

Adaptable ECUs will become commodity items and as easy to fit as electronic
ignition.

> These bloody things
> control more than the motor now. There's the dash, the windows, the stupid
> little buzzers and beepers, ABS, and let's not forget those *(&#$*&^#$
> AIRBAGS!

What will happen is people will just rip these systems out just as people with
sophisticated 50's cars disable the auto ride height, fit konis instead of the
adjustable dampers, replace the auto-box for a manual.

David