Re: technical opinions

To: mike jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Subject: Re: technical opinions
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:46:27 -0500
At 09:45 PM 20/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>JWoesvra@aol.com wrote:
>> How about the relevancy of things like...
>>
>> 1. Crank-fire, distributorless ignitions
>hopefully not on vintage production cars like SVRA group 3

I don't think you should even be allowed to run dual point Mallory
distributors!  Lucas or nothing!

>> 2. Alternate transmissions
>Boy, I'd sure like to have a Datsun 5 speed in my TR3 but it doesnt feel
>right

Ditto, unless the original tranny is replaced with a functionally identical
part, as in rib-case tranny's in Spridgets.

>> 3. Dry sumps
>see number 1

Unless YOUR SPECIFIC CAR was run that way in the original time period, and
you can prove it.  Some were, like special works cars for Le Mans, or something.

>> 4. Roller rockers and cams
>I'd prefer not and haven't done it yet myself.  Lots of folks have and
>maybe it buys them some reliability that's worth the investment.

These only buy reliability at the new and improved higher rev's that they
can turn!  New "stock" parts are available for just about every car, so
fatigue life isn't the issue here.

>> 5. Radial vs bias-ply tires
>Boy, talk about emotional - it was the hot topic in SVRA group 3 at
>Mid-ohio last summer.  There needs to be some peace between the race
>organizers so that folks can take there cars to most any event and
>race.  It took me 5 weekends to figure out how to drive the Hoosiers on
>my TR3.  I did that so I could race with SVRA, others just walked away
>and weren't willing to either go thru the agony or take what they feel
>is a loss of performance.  I wouldn't enjoy needing to switch back and
>forth from one race to another so I just take my lumps at an HSR race
>while I have a good time driving my car.  On the other hand, I dont'
>mind running 5th or 6th if I cant afford to be first.

In VARAC, we don't even allow the Hoosiers!  We have to run 450L section
tires on our productions sports cars, and they are 3 -5 seconds a lap slower
than Hoosiers, at least!  ( Hence I won't be running my midget with VARAC
once my tires wear out, which is a fairly idle threat since the tires seem
to be hard as rocks and last forever...)

>> 6. Aftermarket heads and blocks
>
>Please, no, not in the old prod car group.  I feel guilty enough with my
>carillo rods.

Even the rods are OK in my book - most everybody could have run them or
their equivalent even in the mid - late fifties.  And rods, cranks, etc, are
a legitimate fatigue life wear item, in my book.  Later blocks and heads are
ok only if they are functionally identical to the early ones.  And I really
mean identical!

>> 7. Your favorite issue............

Getting parity between racing organizations so that when I get whipped on
the track, I know that I was in an even fight!  I'm talking tires and
suspension mods more than anything else, and I'm willing to put up with
weird engines as long as people are honest about capacity.

That's my dimes worth!  Brian Evans, VARAC.