Clutch in, shift paradigm, clutch out.

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch in, shift paradigm, clutch out.
From: Alfred Kobacker <alfred@ajkco.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:13:33 -0500
Because vintage racing differs from pro or SCCA amateur racing in that the
cars run with more than one sanctioning group, and because the sanctioning
groups are unlikely to adopt identical policies, what if the race groups
(e.g. group 1,2,3,4,5 cars, etc.) formed individual, formal organizations
which maintained a consistent set of standards, and to which everyone who
wished to race in that group belonged.  Not unlike Monoposto, these groups
could then, with considerable leverage, bring their shows to the various
races, knowing that their rules and standards would be applied.

Also like Monoposto, these clubs could conduct their own series, regardless
of the sanctioning groups with which they run.

I would think that the vintage sanctioning organizations would be very
responsive to a group which represented hundreds of cars, and which could
deliver a full grid at events it wishes to attend. It would, at the same
time, relieve the sanctioning groups of a hell of a lot of work in
determining and adjudicating eligibility.

Of course, the concept suggests dual, triple, or quadruple membership
scenaria, which is a drawback.  But I know that one group has already
formed a loose organization of this nature, and HSR, for example, has been
very receptive to their new, and relatively small, "cartel".

Being new to vintage racing, I expect to hear that this has been tried,
won't work, old idea without merit, etc.  But, thought I'd throw it out.

-Alfred