Re: Midget

To: Jackson Zimmermann <jzimmerm%acva@co.albemarle.va.us>
Subject: Re: Midget
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 12:10:48 -0500
OHmigod, a nibble!  The car's in Toronto, I could deliver in northeastern
US, to home or to a race, if required, or meet at the border.

What we got here is a 1962 MG Midget Mk 1, serial GAN1L - 12500 or so, so
it's an early square body Midget.  It does 1:55 at Mosport with the 948
engine, and 1:48 with the 1275, so it's quick but still could do a bit
better.  Those times were with an open differential, and locking the diff
would probably be worth 2 seconds at that track.

I restored the body, replaced all rusted sections with new metal, and did a
bare-metal paint job, with a professional bodyman doing the final body
finish and paint.  Color is white, red stripe, red rockers.  Professionaly
installed rollcage, with doorbars and dashhoop.  New TRW belts.  Aluminium seat.

Suspension & brakes:

New A-arms, shocks, poly bushings, rebuilt uprights, new bearings, new
discs, rebuilt calipers, new Winners Circle springs, new rear springs (stock
type with leaves removed to soften), rear panhard rod, front 3/4" swaybar,
new rear upper control arms, dual bearing rear hubs, Hawke front pads, Earls
braided flex lines, new hard lines, all new rear brake stuff, Datsun M/C
conversion.

Engine/tranny

948 or 1275 engines - your choice, or both, depending on deal.

948: stock, hardened crank.  998 rods.  Powermax pistons, .060 over.  649
cam, vernier timing chain setup.  ART modified 1275 head - 13:1 compression.
1.46" intake, 1.2"exhaust, hardened exhaust seats.  Auminium flywheel.  All
ARP fasteners in bottom end - rod bolts and main cap screws.  Center main
strap.  Weber 40 dcoe carb, Janspeed header.  Accusump. Everything re-sized,
linehoned, or whatever should have been done.  Cam bearings installed, etc.
Cooper S Distributor.

1275 Engine:  same as above, Elgin cam.  All ARP fasteners, and alloy
flywheel.  Same head as 948 engine (in other words, I only have one cylinder
head).  Don't have the 45 dcoe weber for this engine anymore. 1.5:1 rockers.

Tranny:  7.25" Quartermaster clutch setup - ultra-light, and bulletproof.
Jack Knight SC/CR gears in ribcase box.

Diff:  4.2 and 4.55 diffs, both currently open.

Fuel System:

Fuelsafe Sportsman fuel cell.

Custom Weller steel  racing wheels (very pretty, get lots of comments),
Rostyle wheels, both mounted with  Dunlop 450L-13 tires.

I've got about $15,000 (CDN)in the car in parts and paint, including nothing
for my labour, and $750 for the car!  The car has never been hit or crashed.
I was asking $10k - $12k CDN (which is $7k to $8.5k US depending on
exchange).  I think that's a good price for a virtually new car, sorted and
quick, and turnkey!  Car has about 9 or 10 races on it from new, evenly
split between 948 and 1275 engines.  The goal in building this car was to
have an ultra-reliable car that finished weekends, and that was quick enough
to have fun.  I finished 5th out of 30 cars in an all-MG race at Mosport
this year, and hit 125 MPH in the dip at Road Atlanta, so it's quick, and as
I noted earlier, aside from 3 axles, I've finished all but 2 sessions, and
every event entered!

I appreciate your feedback, and BUY THE CAR!

Brian