Re: QUOTE OF THE DAY

To: TRAKHENER@aol.com
Subject: Re: QUOTE OF THE DAY
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:57:41 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 TRAKHENER@aol.com wrote:

> "success (in race car driving) is like surfing: You're doing what you can to
> stay on the board, but you really aren't in control of anything" - kirk

Ah, for once a posting on this list in which I have expertise.  Hate to
burst the bubble for you landlubbers but actual surfing requires an
enormous, and rather hard to acquire set of skills.  Much like being a
talented racing driver, the top rated surfers of the world have lighting
reflexes and uncanny timing.  Actually, I think the analogy holds well but
would be much more accurate if it weren't tongue-in-cheek.  It should
read: "Success in racing is like surfing, spend the best years of your
youth hanging around a bunch of ne're do wells and pursuing an inane
interest, get major corporate sponsorship, quit your day job, travel
the world in search of perfection, and then retire at 32 broke. But have a
helluva lot of fun and excitement doing it."

-KevinO