Re: Movie: "On The Beach"

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Movie: "On The Beach"
From: deboer@pacbell.net
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 07:09:10 -0800
I believe the actual race and crash scenes were shot in So. California,
perhaps at Riverside. Many of the cars were later saved and are/were
vintage racing here. One of the Siatas had it's suspension intentionally
damaged and cut away to give a realistic "shimmy" before loss of control
and an off course excursion, That car was found some years ago and took
a lot of work beyond normal restoration to undo the movie "work".
Another of the cars had a square bracket built onto the side so a "pilot
car" could get it up to speed sort of dragging it along side to send it
into an impact. (One of the 120s or a Healey 100-4 as I recall). I think
they'd even removed the engine before using it for the crash. There was
a write up, complete with photos, in one of the sports car magazines at
the time, and I'll look it up and let everyone know what issue of which.
Jarl de Boer