Re: Movie: "On The Beach"

To: Tony Clark <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: Movie: "On The Beach"
From: Mark Donaldson <ardmore@voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:07:41 -0800
Tony Clark wrote:

> I just rediscovered the 1959 film "On the Beach" and, ignoring the
> story line, spent serious time running and rerunning the race segment.
> There are 2 or three Lotus Elevens in the race, one, number 27,
> harrasses the Fred Astaire Ferrari throughout the race!  There were
> gull-wing 300s, Healeys, TDs, 356 Po****es,  a D Jag,  an XK or two and
> gawd knows what else . . .I bet someone out there knows all about this
> movie, where it was filmed and such??????????????????
>
> Tony

Tony,
It was filmed in Australia.
In and around Melbourne, I believe.  I say this because one
of my father's staff from his Melbourne office was in one of
the "crowd" scenes. I'm sure that my Aussie colleagues and
fellow Healey owners on this list will be able to give you
better details.
I remember Ava Gardner driving an Austin-Healey 100/6 on the
beach road.  The movie's dated. But the anti-war message is
still strong, even today.

Cheers
Mark Donaldson
BN2 et al